A Moisturizing DIY Hair Mask For Dry Hair- Definitely Worth Creating
This DIY hair mask for dry hair is a must for anyone experiencing less than optimum hair health due to dry and brittleness. It is frustrating to work with hair that frizzes, breaks, splits or becomes thin or even falls out, so what do you do?
Creating a hair remedy or two to have on hand that will combat these hair problems. Adding nutrients and protecting essential hair elements is important, and the below chosen ingredients will do just this. This hair treatment will provide your strands with nourishing, strengthening and growing power.
This post may contain affiliate links which means I may earn a small commission if you make a purchase through my link, but at not additional cost to you. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
Oils, herbs and essential oils are used to create this natural hair treatment that is both safe to use and highly effective. High quality ingredients are also used to ensure the best outcome for your hair.
The steps below guide you through the process of creating a DIY hair mask for dry hair and tells you the benefits of each ingredient on the scalp and hair. It is important to understand why and how the hair mask is useful and how and why it works.
This homemade cream for dry hair was originally developed for family members that wanted stronger, healthier and less frizzy locks. Health problems created issues with thin and brittle hair for me and less of it. My husband was blessed with thick, textured hair that is able to be formed so many ways and then magically stay put. The aging process, however, has taken its toll, and those lovely strands are becoming dry, less nourished and thinner.
This dry hair remedy has been used by us for a short time, but we love the hair cream. It is moisturizing, provides nutrients for your scalp, hair follicles ,and hair strands. It is surprisingly not too heavy and easy enough to wash out, and of course, is all-natural. Use it and provide your hair with a little extra love.
This post shows you how to create a DIY hair mask for dry hair that will give your hair healthy strands that will better withstand the elements.
DIY hair mask for dry hair ingredients List
Oils Used In dry hair remedy:
- Castor Oil
- Jojoba Oil
- Coconut Oil
Castor oil is beneficial to the hair follicle and provides a protective barrier which offers additional hair flexibility. The oil protects the hair follicle from inflammation and increases blood flow to the hair follicle as well.
This oil also benefits the hair by producing a favorable environment to the scalp which wards off harmful bacteria. In turn, healthier strands of hair are produced.
This oil is rich in many vitamins that are beneficial in providing you with healthy and stronger hair. Also, it is known for providing nourishment to the scalp that helps with dryness and itching.
In different parts of the world, coconut oil has been known to support a healthy scalp. This study provides evidence on coconut oil's positive effect against dandruff.
Coconut oil is high in omega 3s. Therefore, the hair and scalp are provided with much needed nourishment to fight dryness and keep moisture in the hair.
Shea butter is extracted from the kernels of the sheu tree (Vitellaria paradoxa)
This ingredient adds substance and gives this DIY hair remedy a creamy texture. The plant oil also contains vitamins A and E which makes Shea butter a great moisturizer for the hair.
Dry hair is vulnerable to becoming brittle, breaking or even falling out. Therefore, adding Shea butter to provide essential vitamins and moisture to a hair treatment is extremely useful to hair health and moisturizing dry hair.
Beneficial Herbs Used In DIY hair mask for dry hair
Burdock Root has been used in history to promote healthy scalp, combat dandruff and prevent the loss of hair.
The essential fatty acids, tannins and vitamins in burdock root promote the growth of hair and helps hair strands to be healthier and stronger.
Therefore, infusing the herb into an oil mixture heightens the benefits of the hair mask.
This herb contains silica which is a mineral that strengthens hair strands. An alternative to using the herb horsetail in the oil fusion is to take an oral supplement or horsetail extract to help with scalp health and to strengthen hair follicles.
Essential Oil For Dry Hair Treatment
Rosemary Essential Oil
Rosemary is included in this hair mask for its ability to stimulate the scalp, which is beneficial for the growth of new hair. Its ability to fight against dandruff is another reason it is included. Rosemary supports overall hair health.
Steps To Make the DIY hair mask for dry hair
#1 Make Herbal Infusion
To Create the herbal infusion using the sun method, make sure you have a sterile and dry pint sized mason jar if you are using exact measurements of herbs according to this recipe. Otherwise, you can fill a mason jar 1/2 way up with dried herbs, then add the oil to the jar stopping 1 inch prior to the top of the jar.
- Add measure herbs into mason jar.
- Pour castor oil into the jar stopping 1 inch from the top.
- Put a piece of natural parchment paper over the top of the jar.
- Place the mason jar lid on the jar and screw it on tightly.
- Give the jar a shake.
- Place the mason jar inside a paper bag and place next to a window sill for 2-3 weeks.
- Make sure to give the jar a shake every so often.
#2 Melt Shea Butter
In a pint-sized mason jar, place Shea butter into the mason jar. Place the mason jar inside a small sauce pan and pour water 1/2 the way up the side of the jar.
Tip 1: Place the mason jar's metal lid in the pan underneath the glass mason jar or wash cloth. This will ensure the glass from cracking during the heating process.
Tip 2: Do not cover the mason jar oil and beeswax formula with a lid. Condensation can build up, and you do not want any moisture or water in the mixture.
#3 Add Oils
Once the Shea butter is melted, add the castor, coconut, and jojoba oils and stir. Pour the oil into a medium-sized bowl and allow to cool for approximately 20 minutes or until the oil mixture has firmed enough to whip.
#4 Whip Into A Beneficial DIY Dry Hair Treatment
Whip the oil mixture into a cream using a whisk or blender. Do this for approximately a minute or two. Only do this until the mixture is a creamy well-incorporated blend.
#5 Pour Into Container.
Pour the mixture into a container and label. Only a small amount is needed for the hair. Make sure to use clean, dry hands when scooping the mixture out.
You may want to store the DIY hair mask in a jar and scoop a small amount out at a time into a smaller jar to use.
DIY Hair Mask For Dry Hair
- 1/2 cup Shea butter
- 1/2 cup Castor oil (herbal infusion)
- 1/4 cup Coconut oil
- 1/4 cup Jojoba oil
- 1/4 cup dried Burdock Root
- 1/4 cup dried Horsetail
- 15 drops Rosemary Essential Oil
- Make Oil Infusion - refer to the method mentioned above.
- Strain the oil fusion into a clean mason jar.
- Carefully open the lid of the herbal oil fusion. Lay folded, layered cheese cloth over the mason jar and tape it, or use a sterilized, mesh wired sieve. or a natural colored coffee filter instead of the cheese cloth.
- Slowly pour the castor oil mixture into the cheese cloth, sieve or coffee filter. Give the oil time to pour into the jar and don't pour too much in at a time.
- Discard herbs after the oil is separated into the new jar.
- Put the lid on the jar, label, and store in a dry, cool place.
- In a small sauce pan, set a mason jar lid or wash cloth on the bottom of the small pan.
- Place pint sized mason jar on top of the mason jar lid in the pan.
- Scoop 1/2 cup Shea butter into the mason jar.
- Pour water into the sauce pan 3/4 the ways up the side of the mason jar making sure no water gets into the mixture.
- Turn the burner on low heat until Shea butter is fully melted. Stir Shea butter occasionally with a wooden skewer
- When the Shea butter is fully melted, add 1/4 cup coconut oil and 1/4 cup jojoba oil to the Shea oil and mix with wooden skewer.
- Pour the oil mixture into a medium-sized bowl and allow to cool for about 20-30 minutes.
- Once the mixture is cooled and solidified some, whip mixture into a cream.
- Pour cream into a container and label.
This post guides you through the steps to making an effective DIY hair mask for dry hair that nourishes and moisturizes.
Journal of Biology, Agriculture and Healthcare www.iiste.org ISSN 2224-3208 (Paper) ISSN 2225-093X (Online) Vol.7, No.22, 2017
Lin, T. K., Zhong, L., & Santiago, J. L. (2017). Anti-Inflammatory and Skin Barrier Repair Effects of Topical Application of Some Plant Oils. International journal of molecular sciences, 19(1), 70. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms19010070
|Saxena, R., Mittal, P., Clavaud, C., Dhakan, D. B., Roy, N., Breton, L., Misra, N., & Sharma, V. K. (2021). Longitudinal study of the scalp microbiome suggests coconut oil to enrich healthy scalp commensals. Scientific reports, 11(1), 7220. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-021-86454-1|