This post contains affiliate links, which means I may earn a small commission if you make a purchase through my link, but at no additional cost to you. You can read my full disclosure policy here.
In need of relaxing the body and soothing tired feet? Want to assist your body in drawing out some toxins? Need to absorb some magnesium?
Helping the body get rid of toxins is important. Using home remedies such as this is an easy way to do just that. My family has used this foot soak recipe along with other ones to detox through the feet.
There are different ways people choose to detox their feet. I have found that this foot soak recipe works best. Not only will this recipe help the feet detox, it will provide other benefits as well that are listed below along with the Best at-home treatment.
This post Gives the best foot detox home remedy that will properly take care of your feet as well as provide you with effective Detox Therapy.
Foot Detox Ingredients
- An Epsom salt foot soak is effective for sore muscles and joint pain. They are made up of magnesium and sulfate. These mineral compounds are broken down when immersed in water of the proper temperature into magnesium and sulfate ions According to the American Journal of Pharmacology and Pharmacotherapeutics. This makes them able to be absorbed by the skin.
- Magnesium helps in the detox process of the body by giving energy to the cells to push toxins out. Absorption of the mineral relieves pain in the body and offers stress relief as well. An Epsom salt soak is also great for dry skin, hydration and improving the skin barrier. Additionally it is said to be good for blood circulation.
- Doctors have recommended the use of Epsom salts for detoxing although I was not able to find many studies confirming the absorption through the feet. However, I was not able to find studies disproving the benefits either. I also found articles stating that dead sea salts are helpful for skin conditions such as psoriasis.
- Also, many naturopaths and integrative doctors recommend these soaks as well as state their benefits. Therefore, I use these soaks often and find them to be highly beneficial.
- Caution should be exercised when using this detox remedy according to the below underlined study. Consult a medical specialist if you are predisposed to non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Or use baking soda and essential oil only for the foot soak detox.
- Baking soda, also known as Sodium Bicarbonate, can help the feet detox, help with foot odor for those with smelly feet, get rid of dead skin cells, and help with fungal infections due to its anti-fungal properties. It also can help with rash-like skin conditions such as psoriasis.
- It is absorbed through the skin in a foot detox which can help balance the Ph level in the body as well.
- Baking soda is also known for reducing inflammation. Using baking soda in the foot bath is a great way to accelerate the detox action of the body and reduce muscle aches. Reducing inflammation means the body is better able to detox properly.
- Additionally, baking soda helps with bacteria overgrowth and candida albicans.
- Once again, use caution if you have open sores and consult a doctor prior.
Essential Oil (Optional)
Using one of your favorite essential oils in your relaxing foot soak can add additional benefits as well. The two below are recommended. View under foot detox recipe for recommended brands.
- Lavender Essential Oil- This oil eases the nervous system, reduces anxiety and stress, and promotes restful sleep. These are all great for preparing the body's natural detox pathways to detox.
- Chamomile Essential Oil- Chamomile is great to be used for skin irritation and inflammation. Additionally, it promotes a relaxed state of being.
What Temperature Should the Epsom Salt Bath Be?
According to research I have found, the bath temperature for the foot soak should be anywhere between 92 degrees Fahrenheit to 102 degrees Fahrenheit. This bath temperature will make it a more effective home remedy.
- 1/2 Cup of Epsom Salt
- 1/4 Cup Baking Soda
- 10-12 drops Lavender or Chamomile Essential Oil (Optional)
- Tub of very warm water (92-101 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Place warm to very warm water (but not too hot water) in a glass bowl or foot tub wide and long enough to place your feet in.
- Add the Epsom Salts and stir.
- Add the baking Soda and stir.
- Once dissolved, place your feet into the foot soak.
- You may add the essential oils into the tub of warm water when the water is no longer hot. This is dependent on the temperature of water you used in the first place.
- Soak your feet for at least 10-15 minutes.
Recommended Products For Foot Detox Baths
This is the best foot detox home remedy that will Give your body what it needs to boost your detox pathways.
- Philips, C. A., Paramaguru, R., Mahadevan, P., & Augustine, P. (2017). Severe liver injury due to Epsom salt naturopathy. BMJ case reports, 2017, bcr2017221718.
- Old fashioned sodium bicarbonate baths for the treatment of psoriasis in the era of futuristic biologics: An old ally to be rescued R. Verdolini,L. Bugatti,G. Filosa,B. Mannello,F. Lawlor &R. R. Cerio
Pages 26-29 | Received 25 Mar 2004, Accepted 20 Sep 2004, Published online: 12 Jul 2009